Holiday Gift Basket Guide
Are you thinking of picking up a present or two for the Texas wine lovers in your life? You can never go wrong with gifting just a bottle of wine, but why not step up your gift-giving by building a curated holiday gift basket your wine lover is bound to love. With so many local Texas wineries and merchants, creating a gift basket is an easy, creative, and thoughtful way to wow this year. Whether you’re looking to splurge or working on a budget, the fact that you’re able to pick and choose the items you’ll be placing in the basket gives you full control. Follow this Holiday Gift Basket Guide for crafting the perfect basket with all Texas local wines and products.
THE TEXAS WINES
It wouldn’t be a wine gift basket if there weren’t any wine in it! Build your basket around your wine lover’s favorite bottle or opt for a more seasonal wine choice. This time of year, you can expect seasonal wines that pull influence from the holiday spirit with notes of clove or cinnamon. We’ve rounded up a few of our holiday and year-round favorites!
- Stonewall Glögg: Drinking glögg is the traditional Swedish way of getting together with family and friends during the holiday season. Pedernales Cellars’s Stonewall Glögg pulls inspiration from the Swedish tradition and has a light spiciness that will keep you warm this holiday season.
- 2016 Duchman Family Montepulciano: An all-year-round favorite, from Duchman’s Family Winery. Duchman Montepulciano fills the senses with aromas of ripe plum, pipe tobacco, and vanilla. Rich flavors of blackberry, black cherry, and a hint of spice please the palate.
- 2017 Estate Tempranillo: Pontotoc Vineyard’s 2017 Estate Tempranillo is a perfect addition to any gift basket. This authentically Texas Tempranillo is medium-bodied with flavors of sour cherry, red plum, and toasted oak.
- 2016 Euphoria: For the wine lover who enjoys bubbles, you can’t go wrong with Heath Sparkling Wines’ 2016 Euphoria! A blend of Chenin Blanc, Viognier, Muscat Canelli that brings a bright acidity that yields a round, lingering finish.
- 2018 Tryphon imPETuous Petillant Naturel Sparkling Wine: Another sparkling option comes from Saint Tryphon Farm & Vineyards. The 2018 Tryphon imPETuous Petillant Naturel Sparkling Wine is a bottle-fermented white wine bursting with floral aromas of honeysuckle and orange peel. Creamy in texture with beautiful zesty orange notes.
- Mead: For the mead lover there is no better place to go than Blue Lotus Winery. From dry meads to ones as sweet as candy, there is a mead for every taste. Grab a bottle or growler for fill up your basket.
THE LOCAL TEXAS SNACKS
You might be thinking our Texas wineries are only known for their award-winning wines but trust us, you don’t want to miss out on their carefully sourced selection of artisanal snacks and food. Several of our wineries have so many incredible products that you can pair with various wines. From chocolate to gourmet crackers, to locally made jams and spreads, from select cheeses to nuts, there is an endless amount of options for your gift basket!
- Fall Creek Vineyards: From salsa to mustard to jelly, Fall Creek Vineyards has you covered on spreads your wine enthusiast will love.
- Turtle Creek Olives & Vines Olive Oil: Not only does Turtle Creek Olives & Vines make exceptional wines, but they also produce their very own 100% olive oil. Great for anyone who enjoys cooking!
- Kuhlman Cellars: Bringing the flavor with their herbed mixed nuts and chocolate varieties. Adding these artisanal flavors to your basket is bound to bring joy to any wine lover!
Texas wine lovers enjoy an authentic wine experience. For those that may already have a wine cellar full of Texas wine, why not gear your gift basket towards inclusive wine experiences?
- Flat Creek Estates: Give the gift of Star Gazing with wine flights for a relaxing evening. For those that may be looking for a more active experience, Flat Creek Estates offers a wine and disc golf experience too!
- Woodrose Winery: The ‘Passport Series’ at Woodrose Winery features a 6-course food and wine pairing from various regions of the world to satisfy the foodie or travel junkie in your life.
- Longhorn Cellars Vineyard: For the wine lover who appreciates the labor of love that goes into winemaking, give the gift of adopting a vineyard row for the season. Adopting a row includes a plaque with your wine lover’s name and the varietal of their choice. They can help harvest, prune, and nurture their row all year long.
- Wine clubs: Almost all of our Texas Hill Country Wineries offer a wine club, where you could purchase a year-long membership for your wine lover. What could be better than a year filled with exclusive offers, wine club member-only events, tours, and limited wine releases? Give the gift that keeps on giving!
As Texans, there is nothing we love more than getting to rep our state, city, or local wineries! For those who adore a specific winery or enjoy supporting local vineyards, apparel makes a great gift. Several of our wineries have some truly fun, creative, and functional merch that perfectly captures who we are as Texas wine lovers.
- Farmhouse Vineyards: What’s not to love about Farmhouse Vineyards? With a wearable bangle flask or gorgeous copper glassware, you’re bound to bring a smile to your wine lover’s face.
- Texas Heritage Vineyard: Stop by Texas Heritage Vineyard for some unique gift items and antiques. For those who love Texas history, this is the place to stop!
- Becker Vineyards: You may be familiar with the lavender fields at Becker Vineyards, but did you know the winery produces several lavender products? From lotions and balms to linen sprays, the options are endless.
- Los Pinos Ranch Vineyards: Ever had TSA make you toss your corkscrew while traveling? Well long gone are the days of wasted corkscrews with Los Pinos Ranch Vineyards TSA approved corkscrew. Add it to your basket for the jet setter in your life!
- Cicada Cellars: For the scientific or punny friend in your life, you can’t go wrong with Cicada Cellars‘ Periodic Table of Texas Wines©.
- Dry Comal Creek Vineyards: Let your creativity soar at Dry Comal Creek Vineyards! Their tasting room is home to several giftable items, from home decor to wine stoppers to punny ornaments. There is no doubt their selection will cover your gift basket building needs.
The above gift items are a sure way to make a holiday gift basket that would make any wine lover smile from ear to ear. If the thought of curating a custom gift basket has you feeling like you don’t have enough time or stressed out, then don’t fret. Old Man Scary Cellars has done the heavy lifting with their pre-made baskets. Whether you make your own gift basket or buy a pre-made basket, remember it’s the thought that counts!